Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Fool Me Twice ....

The other day, while Kevin was out of town, I thought I would let Sabina color at the counter to occupy her time while I fixed dinner. I gave her some paper and some washable markers (thank you Crayola!) and immediately became distracted with cooking. A few minutes later, when I stopped to look at what she was doing, she had purple lips and had colored all over the top of her left hand.

"Sabina, don't put that in your mouth. If I see it in your mouth again, I will take the markers away."
"'Tay," she said. Wet wipes on the face and hands, all clean, start cooking again.

I turned around again a few minutes later, and her lips are blue. "OK, Sabina. No more markers. Mommy is going to get some crayons." Crayons! I am so clever! Why didn't I think of that before? Set her up with the crayons, start cooking again.

I checked on her a few minutes later, and she was coloring on her fingernails and then blowing on them to dry. Oh, how cute! She thinks she is painting her fingernails! "Are you painting your fingernails! Oh, they will look so pretty!"

Did you know that washable crayons, when mixed with saliva, can create a paste that looks a lot like nail polish? Fortunately it washed off.

A few days later, we were at the easel drawing on the whiteboard, side-by-side. Surely I would notice if she began to draw on herself. But no, Mommy is all caught up in drawing a tree with some flowers. I look over at her and she has a big blue mark across her cheek and has colored her hand again.

Let's hope I learn something before she starts sneaking out of the house.

No comments: