The honeymoon is over with ballet, for both Leila and myself. Leila decided she liked tumbling better, and I have gained a new perspective on ballet class, which I am sure is very similar to the perspective my parents had when I took ballet.
We arrive to the studio to see flyers posted everywhere stating that "Today is the last day to place orders for gala costumes." So I inquire to see if the pre-school classes participate, which they do, and I prepare to place my order. $80. For a leotard and tutu. For a 4 year old. I am then handed a packet of instructions on how to apply makeup, to my 4 year old, and how ballet shoes must not look worn, otherwise new ones should be purchased. And an announcement would come later on when tickets would be available and how much. For a 30 minute performance, for the parents of her class. Just a little bit of overkill, I think.
Fortunately, on the drive home, Leila admitted that she would rather do tumbling. I was almost relieved, except for the $80 that I had just dropped for the "gala". Sheepishly I called the administrative assistant when I got home, the one that I had spoken with several times when Leila was on the wait list, and then when there was finally an opening, and then to coordinate enrollment. She was kind enough to void the tutu payment.
At the gymnastics center, there is no recital. And you can buy a gently used leotard for $12. And they know how to throw one hell of a birthday party for a 4 year old.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment